Setting Up Keystone (Legacy)
If your Keystone is running firmware version M-4.5 (Multi-Coin) or newer, please refer to the setupthe below:
Preparation：① Keystone ② Laptop or Phone
1. Press and hold the “Power” button for 3s to boot Keystone.
2. Choose a system language and tap [Next].
3. Visit Keystone official website on your laptop or mobile phone. Click [Authenticate] to display the Web Authentication QR code. Please adjust QR code size with the slide bar if Keystone has trouble scanning the QR code.
4. Tap [Scan QR Code] on your Keystone device. Scan the QR code displayed on the "Web Authentication" page of the official website and Keystone will show the 8-digit verification code.
5. Input the 8-digit code shown on your Keystone on the website and click [Verify].
6. If the web page says “Your Device is Secure!”, tap [Success] on your Keystone device.
Web Authentication helps prevent supply chain attacks. If the device has been tampered with, authentication will fail. For more information on how Web Authentication works, visit our blog.
1. Password Length: At least 10 characters.
2. Must include upper and lower case letters and digits, symbols are allowed.
After the Keystone imports a recovery phrase, the password can be used to sign transactions (private keys will call a password for signature). This means your cryptocurrencies can be sent out if your password is leaked. Please set a strong password instead of using simple passwords like names or birthdays as this may make it easier for an attacker to brute force it and access your recovery phrase.
Preparation: Recovery phrase paper or metal tablet
Caution: You are not recommended to perform this step in public places or with others.
If you do not have a recovery phrase or need to generate a new recovery phrase, please select [Create Wallet].
a. Tap [Create Wallet], then [Next], then [I UNDERSTAND] (please read the prompts on the Keystone carefully).
b. Carefully record the recovery phrase while it is being displayed. You may want to use a metal tablet for more permanence.
c. Tap [Recovery Phrase Saved], then [Next Step].
d. Input the recovery phrase and tap [Confirm] to create the wallet.
If you already have a recovery phrase, you can select [Import Wallet]. We recommend users create a new recovery phrase when beginning use of the Keystone to isolate assets from risks associated with previous use of an old recovery phrase (such as having entered it on a mobile phone connected to the internet or taking and saving pictures of the recovery phrase on a mobile phone, etc.).
a. Tap [Import Wallet], then tap [Import a Wallet with Single Backup].
b. Carefully record the recovery phrase while it is being displayed. You may want to use a metal tablet for more permanence. Select recovery phrase length and tap [Next].
c. Enter your recovery phrase. Tap [Import Wallet] to start creating a wallet. Then tap [Confirm].
Keystone supports importing 12/18/24-word recovery phrases and generating 24-word recovery phrases by default.
The recovery phrase entails complete ownership of the cryptocurrency. If your Keystone is lost or stolen, the recovery phrase is the only way to retrieve your assets. Please make sure you have physically backed up your recovery phrase instead of saving it as a photo or other format on any device which may connect to the internet. Air-gapped mobile phones, laptops, and USB sticks have larger attack surfaces, so we advise against using them.
1. Select the Assets you need to manage.
2. Tap the [√] icon on the top right of the page.
The Keystone hardware wallet only supports showing main-chain cryptocurrencies. Please add and manage Tokens on the Keystone mobile app.
If you upgrade Keystone to the BTC-Only firmware version, you will only be able to manage bitcoin in Assets and cannot switch back.
If the firmware version of your Keystone is a BTC-Only version, you can also use Electrum, Wasabi Wallet, Bluewallet, BTCPay Server, Specter, Sparrow, or Casa as a watch-only wallet in place of the Keystone companion app.
1. Open the Keystone mobile app and tap [Bind]. Scan the QR code displayed on the Keystone hardware wallet.
2. If you have difficulty scanning the QR code, please tap [Difficulty scanning?...] and try again.
If a transaction is large, the number of QR codes will increase. Please keep scanning until the process finishes.